AFFORDABLE HOUSING SPECIALIST
Company: Englewood Housing Authority
Posted on: September 15, 2022
AFFORDABLE HOUSING SPECIALIST
The Englewood Housing Authority (EHA) is seeking qualified
candidates for the position of Affordable Housing Specialist to be
based at our headquarters in Englewood, NJ. Applicants must have
good communication, typing, figure aptitude and computer skills and
must be able to read, write and speak English (and Spanish
preferred). Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
processing of clients for HUD Assisted Housing programs in a
thorough, accurate and timely manner, data entry, and providing
information to tenants and landlords.
This is a full-time, 35 hours work week, position with excellent
benefits package and participation in the N. J. Public Employees'
Retirement System (PERS).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares necessary documents for all housing assisted
participants and submits completed files to Supervisor for
processing on a timely basis.
- Performs rent computation for all assisted housing
- Processes all monthly renewals of assigned clients within
established deadlines and advises clients of rental
- Prepares and processes paperwork for client
- Prepares hold list on a timely basis and promptly submits same
to Supervisor. Follows up on clients to ensure prompt processing of
- Meets with client regularly to review their program eligibility
- Maintains records for all participant changes and files all
- Develops and maintains rapport with landlords/agents and
building staff to ensure continuity of delivery of safe, decent and
sanitary housing accommodation.
- Makes client referrals to Social Service agencies.
- Follows appropriate housing regulations and policies in the
processing of rental assistance for clients.
- Assembles verified information to determine continued
eligibility of clients in the various housing programs.
- Maintains waiting lists for several HUD programs.
- Interviews new clients who are deemed eligible for Housing
Assistance to ensure continued eligibility and compliance with
program guidelines; explains program and answers
- Follows up on available rental units with owners and brokers
and makes referrals.
- Prepares and presents files for hearings, court cases, etc. on
an as needed basis.
- Performs other Authority activities, as requested. Business
conditions or Authority needs may require from time to time, at
employer's discretion, changes in job duties, responsibilities, or
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Working knowledge of leasing documents, procedures and tenant
rights or demonstrated ability to learn and understand these
documents, procedures and rights.
- Experience in subsidized housing, real estate, banking, social
services, customer service or a field of work in business which
requires a great deal of interaction with people.
- Good mathematical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective
working relationships with departmental officials, subordinates,
employees and their representatives, professional groups and the
- Ability to relate well to people and to respect privacy and
confidentiality of clients, landlords, staff and files.
- Good organizational and filing skills.
- Proficient in the use of computers, calculators, typewriters,
photocopiers and FAX machines.
- Must have good working knowledge of various software programs
such as Microsoft Office Suite and be proficient in the use of
these programs on the computer.
- Ability to manage caseload, prioritize responsibilities and
deadlines and apply regulations and policies with minimal
- Typing skills (accurate at 40 words per minute).
- Ability to follow-up on issues with clients, etc., in a timely
- Ability to meet and work with people and deal effectively and
compassionately with their situation.
- Ability to work independently and be willing to assist in the
department as required and assigned.
- Ability to read, write, understand and communicate in the
English and Spanish language is preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational
functions of climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching,
standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping,
feeling, talking, hearing and performing repetitive
- Must be able to perform light work exerting up to 10 pounds of
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible for
this position as long as they can perform the essential functions
of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known
limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made, because it would
cause the employer undue hardship, such person may not be
STARTING SALARY: Annualized salary range of $42,000.00 to $52,000
Only applications complying with requirements will be considered.
Please do NOT contact the EHA to inquire about status of your
application. In the event that we wish to arrange an interview, we
will contact you. Principals only, no employment agencies/job
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
The EHA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against
COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a medical or religious
exemption is approved.
Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two
weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine
regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their
first day of employment.
NOTICE: Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity
and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the
United States. A background check will be performed.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The EHA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees
and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and
harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion,
age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and
The EHA is a Drug-Free Workplace
If you are interested please send a resume, cover letter &
references to Laura Menoni, Administrative Assistant by clicking
Keywords: Englewood Housing Authority, Tenafly , AFFORDABLE HOUSING SPECIALIST, Other , Englewood, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!